Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Cyvasse

Disclaimer 1: This post isn't totally beer related.
Disclaimer 2: This post contains non-plot information from later in the ASOIF series

Cyvasse, maybe.

In some of the later books of the series, the reader is introduced to a game called Cyvasse. It appears to be a form of Westerosi chess. While the rules are never clearly defined, there is enough information between the books to allow you to come up with a good estimate.

Cruising through r/ASOIAF brought me to this link several weeks ago with a pretty good interpretation of the rules of Cyvasse (including a proposed board type/size). Last night I got a bit bored, so I decided to make a Cyvasse set using an 11x14" sheet of tag board, a ruler, way too much math, two sets of chess pieces, and some plastic tokens.

More after the Jump




Once I got all of the pieces and rules hammered out, I got my roommate to play a game. We set up a privacy screen and placed our pieces on the board.

Boom. Privacy.
Once we got our pieces set, we lifted the screen and began to play. An hour later the game had ended. I won in a Check-mate situation. I owe my victory to knowing the rules slightly better than he (he usually wins at chess).

Victorah!

Overall the game was fun. A bit long this time around (constantly checking rules) and we definitely spotted some short comings to the game play as is. After the game I used comments from the original rules posting to develop other variants for Cyvasse.

For the full list of Rules and Variants I used, I posted a high res .jpg here

PS: I do have some beer stuff to post - including video. My camera isn't with me right now, but I'll be getting it up soon.

Valar Morghulis

3 comments:

  1. This is quite awesome. I'm happy that I found your rules, they are an excellent version (had a couple of games already).

    I have done a blog post about Cyvasse rules on the web which also features your work here, I'd be glad if you'd take a look ^^
    I'll also be presenting my version Cyvasse (which I based on yours) soon as part two of the series, so feel free to check.

    Cy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey awesome!
    I only just found your website, but glad to see you found that forum :) I've been posting a fair bit on that forum - I did the sea port idea :)

    I made a youtube presentation of my current set of rules here if you're interested:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdRYxVlff_0

    ReplyDelete